Monday, June 22, 2020

Life in a semi-lockdown scenario ~~fin, for now ~~

A moment's release

This is the last instalment of the 2020 Covid lockdown diary, for now. The restrictions have been lifted, we can move between prefectural boundaries (still can't go home though), and yesterday, I had to leave the neighbourhood to go to campus, the first time since returning from campus on 7 April. It is the longest time I can recall, in my lifetime, being confined to a 39 sq.m apartment and being limited to a radius of about 800m. 

Although restrictions have been lifted, we still have to maintain distance, wear masks, wash hands. 'Eating out' is not quite what it once was, with limitations still in place. 

Yesterday's train trip to the campus (for an open day, but online) was not crowded, in the way it might have been on a Sunday. Everyone did their best to stay apart, and every passenger wore a mask. 

A phase
It felt strange. I felt a little uneasy. But I guess I will eventually get used to it. For the time being we continue to teach online, from home, we continue to hold out meetings online, from home. I still feel that going out for anything other than going to the campus if required, will be an unnecessary trip. It concerns me that I don't know when that feeling will recede.

In the meantime, the campaigning has begun for the Tokyo gubernatorial election on 5 July. In previous years, I've been out and about following the candidates around on the hustings. For now, I'm going to be following on their social media accounts...

It is time to return to blogging about politics...the rest, I hope, will follow.